One of two men involved in a
shootout at a Thibodaux Mardi
Gras parade last January pled
guilty to three charges arising
from his involvement on the eve
of his scheduled Jury trial.
Quincy Johnson, 34, pled guilty Tuesday afternoon to
attempted second degree murder, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
and reckless discharge of a firearm at a parade. Both Johnson and his
co-defendant, Ryan Harris, were set for felony trials this week. Harris pled
not guilty, and his jury trial has proceeded as scheduled.
"I cannot stress how reckless and dangerous this defendant’s conduct
was," said District Attorney Camille A. Morvant, II after Johnson pled
guilty. "It’s amazing that only the two perpetrators were injured."
Johnson and Harris, both of Napoleonville, were alleged to have been
involved in an altercation earlier on Sunday, January 31, 2016, when the
Krewes of Shaka and Ambrosia were scheduled to parade in Thibodaux. Harris
allegedly approached Johnson on the parade route near the intersection of
Jackson and Canal and shot him. Johnson returned fire, striking Harris. Both
were quickly apprehended by Thibodaux Police Department personnel. Harris
was found to be wearing a ballistic vest, which stopped one of the bullets.
Assistant District Attorney Jason Chatagnier, who has handled the
prosecution of both Johnson and Harris, said he was satisfied with the plea.
"We can’t tolerate two individuals settling their disputes with handguns,"
he said. "What makes this worse is that it happened in such close proximity
to so many innocent people who had no idea of the danger they were in until
the shots rang out."
On the charge of attempted second degree murder, Johnson was sentenced to
serve 15 years in prison. He received a 20 year sentence for possessing a
firearm as a convicted felon, and 15 years for reckless discharge of a
firearm at a parade. The three sentences are to be served concurrently. The
sentences were imposed by the Hon. Walter I. Lanier, III, who is also
presiding over the Harris trial this week.
August 17, 2017
THIBODAUX – A
jury found a
man guilty as
charged for his
role in a
shootout at a
Gras parade last
Ryan Harris, 21, was accused of
seeking out Quincey Johnson, also of Napoleonville, between the Krewe of
Shaka and Ambrosia Parades on January 31, after the two were involved in an
argument earlier in the day.
Harris, who was armed with a pistol and wearing body armor, shot Johnson.Johnson returned fire, wounding Harris.
“This conviction closes the book on
what could have been a major tragedy,” District Attorney Camille A. Morvant,
II said.“The city was fortunate
that only these two suspects were injured.”
Johnson, who was also charged in the
altercation, pled guilty on Tuesday to three felony offenses related to his
role in the shooting.
Harris was convicted on four
separate felony counts – attempted second degree murder, possession of a
stolen firearm, unlawful use of body armor during the commission of a crime
of violence and illegal carrying of a firearm at a parade with any firearm
used in the commission of a crime of violence
“The credit goes to the Thibodaux
Police Department,” said Assistant District Attorney Jason Chatagnier, who
prosecuted the case.Chatagnier
noted that TPD had both suspects in custody shortly after the shooting, and
located eyewitnesses who helped make the case in court this week.Police officers and detectives also located evidence at the scene and
elsewhere which tied Harris to the crime scene. “They did a great job
wrapping up this investigation quickly.”
Formal sentencing is set for October
5, 2017 at 9 a.m. before the Hon. Walter I. Lanier, III, who presided over